Facebook event page
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station, Austin, Texas 78712
You don't want to miss this year's Stonewall National Education Project Symposium, taking place April 15-17, 2018 at A&T Conference Center on the campus of The University of Texas at Austin!
Why? The terrain on which we think about building educational opportunities for the LGBTQ student population is experiencing a seismic social and political earthquake.
Stonewall National Education Project (SNEP) is an advocate for the safety, inclusion, and value of LGBTQ students, with a focus on improving student achievement, attendance, and graduation rates. SNEP is uniquely poised through its vast national network to help eliminate barriers, and to stand up for and empower our young people in a time when it has never been more vital.
Symposium 2018 will address the following issues facing LGBTQ youth:
• Young people's sense of self is under assault. The personal identities and beliefs of all members of the LGBTQ+ community are imposed upon daily by national rhetoric. LGBTQ+ youth of color remain among the most vulnerable to poor academic performance, depression, self-harm, and hate-motivated violence.
• Transgender and gender non-conforming students face a daily frontal attack on who they are. This environment of relentless anxiety strips them of the self confidence and the personal security required to stay in school.
• A war is being waged against Title IX and Title VII that seeks to destroy the legal scaffolding that provides safeguards and protects millions of students and staff from discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation and gender identity.
School district administrators and board members, principals, teachers, health and wellness educators and support staff, representatives from state departments of education, federal agencies, national and regional advocacy organizations, and community organizers doing work around LGBTQ+ youth are invited to attend.
At its 2018 Symposium, Stonewall National Education Project will gather more than 60 school districts serving LGBTQ Youth, alongside State Departments of Education, governmental agencies, academic researchers and advocacy organizations from across the nation to share strategies on how to bravely forge a brighter future for our school environments at a time when the national climate is aversive toward the work we are doing and unsympathetic towards the challenges our youth face in school and at home.
Research shows that sending a larger team builds the capacity of your team to affect change back home. This year's symposium will include, for the first time, a governance/legal track:
• We hope that each one of you will reach out to one or more of your district's legal team, agency lawyer, or policy analyst – to strengthen your district's or organization's team of experts with case studies and best practices that protect LGBTQ youth in the face of adversity.
• Invite and encourage the attendance of a board member who is among your greatest allies in supporting your work. At Symposium 2018 they «will fill their toolbox» with results-driven strategies for teaching other leaders and community partners of the importance of safe and supportive environments for LGBTQ youth.
How can you secure your “seat at the table”? Register immediately to attend the 2018 Symposium of the Stonewall National Education Project, presented in partnership with the Genders & Sexualities Alliance Network.
When: April 15-17, 2018
Where: AT&T Hotel and Conference Center at The University of Texas at Austin
Cost: $350 Full Registration, $150 One-Day Registration (does not include flight or hotel)
$300 Early Bird Registration and Payment by December 1, 2017
As part of the SNEP network, you and your invited colleagues receive a discount of $50 off of the full symposium registration fee of $350, as long as you register and pay by December 1. That's $300 IF you register and pay by December 1, 2017.
A limited amount of financial assistance is available based on need and geographic location. Apply Online: stonewall-museum.org/projects/national-education-project/
• Register and pay online at stonewall-museum.org/education/
The 2018 Symposium hotel will be announced soon. Please cotnact Emery Grant at [email protected]
or by calling 954-763-8565 x 1102 with questions or for more information.